Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Friday, August 25, 2006

TIDINGS OF JOY BY MARGARET DALEY-Steeple Hill Publishers


www.MargaretDaley.com
www.SteepleHill.com

ISBN: 13:978-0-373-87399-9
ISBN: 10: 0-373-87399-9

Oct. 2006 release

From back cover:

A new home for the holodays?
He came to Sweetwater to repay a debt. Chance Taylor didn't expect to have feelings for his new landlady, Tanya Bolton. He could see newly widowed Tanya had worked hard to put the pieces of her world back together, caring for her wheelchair-bound daughter and taking a job at the local bank.

Chance's arrival interrupted Tanya's routine. . .and brought unexpected happiness to her life. But the secret obligation he struggled with meant Chance could lose Tanya--and his chance for a fresh start--forever.

Cheryl here:

This is the last book in the Ladies of Sweetwater Lake series, and each book is a keeper. This story really touched me, as I've had someone very dear to me serve time in prison for something that wasn't only his fault, but he took the punishment of everyone for it. The character of Chance really reminded me of my loved one. I enjoyed his journey though the book.

Margaret dealt with several unique issues in this book: someone being incarcerated when he was innocent, wrongful death of loved ones, Bipolar disorder, a child with a disability, and bullying. I really wish this book would be required reading in junior high and high school because the way the characters dealt with this issue in the book taught me things that I wish I'd known in school, and that I know I'll tuck away for if my children struggle with this issue.

Can I just say that page 106 made me SOB outloud. SOOO touching. If ya wanna know. . .trust me. . .go get this book! Every page pulled at my heartstrings and I found myself either swiping tears because of lump-in-your-throat poignancy, or smiling through the entire page.

I am always floored at how this author manages to make me care deeply about her characters by two or three pages into the book. Usually in the first few paragraphs though.

The heroine, Tanya, reaches out to Chance in such a sweet way, as do her circle of friends. . .who have been heroines/heros in the previous Sweetwater books. If you like series where characters are revisited. . .I really think you'll love this one. I loved how the townspeople rallied around Chance to befriend and defend him when people questioned his innocence. Though his conviction was overturned before the book, having spent two years in prison made the judgemental people leery. He tried to keep to himself, but Tanya wouldn't let him be a hermit. I loved that about her. I loved how much time the hero and heroine spent together, and how he was so close, renting the apartment above her detached garage.

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Another favorite scene from this book was him coming home to that Christmas tree she decorated for him. In fact, this book had several sweet moments where the characters gave one another gifts. I found myself wishing I could see Crystal's artwork. I loved how courageous this teenager was in the face of her disability, and the girls trying to bully her. Another favorite moment in the book was when her friends stood up for her. Everyone needs friends like the Sweetwater crowd. I LOVED how Crystal chose to be kind to the girl who bullied her. If you want to know how Crystal managed to repay meanness with kindness. . .you'll have to go get the book. LOL!

The winter setting made me crave hot cocoa and crackling fireplaces during the holiday season. This town and these characters make you want to visit there and meet them they seem so real. I loved how Chance reached out to Tanya's daughter Crystal, and all three of them worked out tough issues during this story, yet it wasn't so emotionally heavy it seemed sad. It was still light reading which provided a nice escape. The only downside is this being the last Sweetwater book. I could live with a few more books from Sweetwater, and a few more of these poingnantly crafted characters. I even loved the service dog, Charlie. He seemed real. Look for this book, red spine, green cover with a beautiful black lab in a Santa hat wherever books are sold. I believe you won't be sorry you spent the four bucks, and in fact you will probably want to try and get the entire Sweetwater series.

Very poignant moments, sweet and tender romance between hero and heroine, and touching story. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

Squirrel (Cheryl Wyatt)





4 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, August 26, 2006, Blogger Pammer said...

Great review, girlfriend!

Margaret is phenominal. I love her stories. So real and touching.

 
At 3:50 PM, August 26, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Awesome review! Very thorough. Thanks, Cheryl!
Camy

 
At 9:08 PM, August 26, 2006, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

great review!

 
At 4:22 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Margaret Daley said...

Thank you, Cherly.

Margaret

 

Post a Comment

<< Home