Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Heather's Sarcastic Saturday

I have come to a conclusion today. One that most writers already know. This being my first one, I was aware of how everyone felt but now know the pain for myself. I’m speaking of the dreaded… dare I say the word? Syn.. No, don’t make me. Just the thought of it strikes fear into my very soul.

Most writers I know hate them. Except of course for Camy Tang who has a critiquing service just for saps like us who scream in agony when having to write one. And trust me, once I finish this, she WILL be getting it in her inbox. She’s a freak, she actually enjoys the things.

Editors, do they really read them? Sure some of them probably do, but you know some of them are like us and hate them. They probably throw them away as soon as they get them, laughing that they have tortured yet again another writer. They figure it is payback for having to put up with us creative types.

So I say it loud and I say it proud... I hate s-s- deep breath -s-syn- ugh... Let’s try this again. S-s-syn-op-op-sis.

What say you?

12 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Mirtika said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Don't say the word. NOOOO. See, now you're gonna cause hurricanes and tsunamis, dang you.

Mir--packing and heading North

 
At 5:47 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Mirtika said...

Camy is an android.

That explains a lot. :)

Mir<---ducking before Camy starts shooting death rays from her android fingers

 
At 6:00 PM, July 22, 2006, Anonymous Lorie Hartt said...

I thought they were suckopsis

 
At 6:04 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Mirtika said...

Actually, Lorie, the "suckopsis" is the official terminology for the nervous breakdown inducing twelfth revision of the original S-Word-That-Shall-Not-Be-Typed.

The twenty-fourth revision is the pychopsis, because, at that point, they straight-jacket you and drive you away to a safe, S-Free sanitarium.

Mir<--who is at the moment proving one should not have THREE espressos

 
At 6:37 PM, July 22, 2006, Anonymous Lorie Hartt said...

LOL Miritka.

I'll have to remember that.

 
At 8:46 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Sigh. You poor, poor dears. A SYNOPSIS isn't a four-letter word, you know.

Here's a tip: write one or two sentences (no more than that!) for every scene in your book. By the end, you have a chapter-by-chapter synopsis. Then you hire me to pare it down into 2 pages. That's what Heather is going to do, anyway.

Camy

 
At 8:49 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

okay... you not only had to say the word but you had to yell it, Camy?? ugh. Is to a four letter word!!

sigh yes that's my plan...

 
At 9:27 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Pammer said...

Being in the midst of one myself, I have to agree with Heather. My creative soul just can't dredge up words to fit it. I mean, I'm an author. don't they pay us to tell stories? Then they want us to pare it down to nothingness? What kind of cruelty is it? Just to prove to us the the right brain and left are indeed different. I am a right brain person, not even sure I have a left brain and if I do, it must not be hooked up.

I'm praying about mine big time and Camy will be getting mine too. Just like she did the last time. LOL.

 
At 11:26 AM, July 23, 2006, Blogger eileen said...

You aren't FINISHED with that synopsis?? You worked so diligently while perched on my coveted couch last week. Sigh...send it to Camy! She'll fix it quickly. Then you may rest and sip stinky Starbucks.

 
At 10:44 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger GeorgianaD said...

I know, how about instead of fixing my synopsis, I pay you extra to write it? Then I know it'll be good.

PS. I'm a good tipper.

 
At 12:44 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

The first one is always the hardest. After that the best thing to do is what I call writing blind. Just get it down. It's the only time you're really allowed to TELL the story. Just puke it out and clean it up later. LOL!

 
At 7:40 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger Tiff/Amber Miller said...

1-2 sentences; that's doable. For me, I can usually summarize the story and tell it, but my trouble is twofold. Condensing it down to 2 pages (but only after writing a chapter-by-chapter) AND telling it in such a way that it's still gripping to the reader.

But, so far, I've done well. I've at least attracted the attention of 2 editors and 2 agents. That's good, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home