Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Friday, June 23, 2006

BLISSFULLY YOURS BY DIANN WALKER


BLISSFULLY YOURS BY DIANN WALKER
ISBN: 0-373-87373-5
PUBLISHER: Steeple Hill-Love Inspired Cafe
June 2006 release

From back cover:

It was an offer I couldn't refuse: take some time off from teaching and help out at the opening of my friend's brother Mitch's fabulous Bliss Village ski resort. After all, thanks to my mother, I'd already dated most of the so-called eligible men in Tumbleweed, Arizona. What was left to hold me here?

Um, cowardice? I haven't taken many risks outside of my familiar environment. Okay, try none. Still, if risk comes in the shape of tall, blonde and handsome Mitch Windsor, how can I say no?




Cheryl here:

Okay, this book made me have to eat some humble pie. Reason being, I'm always spouting about how I can't stand first person books. After about ten pages, they usually get on my nerves. BUT NOT THIS ONE! In fact, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize this was a Steeple Hill Cafe book until about chapter two. I became so engrossed in the character of Gwen, that I guess I just didn't notice the story was in first person. This story made me laugh about every third page, because the humor was unexpected and perfectly executed. I was also laughing because I could relate to the whole ski disaster thing. For years my husband has been trying to get me to go, and I'm like, "Nuh. Uh. Just drop me off at the mall with the checkbook on the way to the ski lift, and I'm good to go. Having been a nurse, I'd taken care of too many people with broken bones. One winter it seemed like every time I asked a patient, "So how'd you break your leg?" "Hit a tree skiing," they'd say. Or, "I understand you had a skiing accident. Did you hit a tree or what?" "No. I hit anther skier." SO that made me chicken out, especially when I took care of a ski instructor with two broken legs. Not sure how that one happened and since my husband was at Breckenridge that very day, I didn't want to know. LOL!

Anyway, back to the book...I really enjoyed the setting in this book, and the writing is just fabulous. It felt like I was reading a letter from a friend or something. A really funny letter, and by the end of the book I felt like Gwen and Mitch were my friends. The dialogue was really hip, and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Gwen's internal monologue. It added SO much to the story, and had me cracking up. Chapters 18 and 19 were really intense and emotionally poignant and I was really proud of Gwen in her courage during all that. If ya wanna know....get the book! Grin.

I love how the author took this character right out of her comfort zone on many occasions. Really enjoyed Gwen's journey, and the writing in this book. Really fun read.

Cheryl

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

I loved this book too! Diann does a great job!

And being a huge fan of first person... I really loved it.

Cheryl.... seee! all these years, you spouting off you hate it... LOLOLOL

 
At 4:47 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

I just got this book--it's in my TBR pile. It sounds hilarious!
camy

 
At 7:48 PM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks, Cheryl, for the kind words! This really made my day!!!

Diann (Walker) Hunt

 
At 11:58 AM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diann,

What a great book. How much I enjoyed reading it on my holiday. It is going to be translated into Dutch soon....Take care

Gerdy Achilles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home