Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Heather's Sarcastic Saturday

Technology it’s a wonderful thing. If I don’t have my fingers on a keyboard most likely there is a cell phone in my hand. Yes, I admit, maybe I am a little pathetic, always checking my email, getting text messages or phone calls. I can’t remember what it was like before I got the laptop and cell. Frankly, it’s a tad scary to think about. LOL

I will admit though, there are times when I find technology annoying. You’re in a movie theater and someone’s cell rings… its not a normal ring, oh no, it’s the latest hit on the radio that goes off. I don’t know about you but when I’m somewhere like that I will hit the button to silence the ring… and oh I don’t know, NOT ANSWER IT! But no, they answer it. I get to hear all about how Sue Ellen’s husband is a jerk and is cheating on her. So when I get out of the movies and someone asks me about it I say something about I just didn’t get the part where Sue Ellen’s husband messed around on her, what was that in there for? Here is where I get strange looks and I’m asked if I was even in the same movie theater.

The worst by far though is in church. Last Sunday there were at least six cell phones I heard go off. My church is big enough, there could have been rings on the other side and I would have never heard them. And I don’t know about you but just because the ringer is a worship song, DOES NOT make it right.

What I really love is the people that are so embarrassed by their phone going off, they won’t answer it. As if the ringing from their purse isn’t a dead give away. Like if they don’t answer it we would never know it was theirs.

How about going to the grocery store… and not knowing the price of something, because hello they don’t put price tags on everything anymore, so you have to find one of those scanner things, that nine times out of ten don’t work. So you take it with you when you check out. As she rings up everything else, you watch the read out like a hawk to see what it costs, of course by the time you see the price she’s already hit total and you are too embarrassed to tell her you don’t want it for that price.

So sound off, what’s your most annoying thing about technology?

6 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, May 27, 2006, Blogger Robin Caroll said...

Most annoying tech gadget? People who not only answer cell phones in movies, but sit there and carry on a 20 min conversation! UGH

 
At 11:16 PM, May 27, 2006, Blogger Pammer said...

My biggest gripe? The person around here who insists on putting up all the anteannas (or however it's spelled, too tired right now) for HAMM radios, cause now I either have to stand in a strange position or talk on my cell phone outside.

On the cell phones in church, our church is very small, and one Wednesday night the preacher was giving the invitation when one lady's cell phone started ringing. Even the preacher laughed cause the tune was the Calvary Charge. Teehee. Very appropriate, wouldn't you say?

Great topic.

 
At 3:49 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Okay, I'll confess. Our church has a policy where we request everyone turn their cell phones to vibrate or off in service, but one sunday I was LEADING WORSHIP and I forgot to turn my cell phone off, and my parents called me.

It was the middle of a worship song! At first I didn't know whose phone was blaring (because, of course, my ringer was on the LOUDEST SETTING) and then I realized, Doofus, it's you.

But what could I do? I was mic'd, I had my guitar, I was worship leader. So I let it ring and disrupt my wonderfully played Chris Tomlin song.

And what's with my cell phone ringing SEVEN TIMES before going to voicemail??? Normal phones only ring four times before the answering machine picks up.

So yeah. As soon as the worship set was over, I sat down and turned the darn thing off.

Camy

 
At 4:11 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

LOLOL Camy, that's priceless. (hey, how come I didn't know that a. you played guitar. b. sang. c. lead worship at your church???)

 
At 10:05 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

ROTFL!!!!! Camy, you are too funny. Hmmm, let's see, my most annoying thing about technology would be...I HATE MICROSOFT WORD!!!! The program is STUPID!!!! And I mean REALLY STUPID.

LOL! Oh, my, that felt good. Thanks Heather!

 
At 2:25 PM, June 02, 2006, Blogger ScrollSquirrel said...

My technological gripe is with evil tech support. First you have to jump through ten computer-animated voice-hoops before you can even talk to a HUMAN. Then when you do get a human, you spend the next hour wondering if you should call 911 because they've sat there silent the entire time while you explained your problem. That's when you realize at some point in the converstation you got cut off. So then you have to start ALL over and you were already in the middle of the process that Comatose Techy started you on. Then the next person tells you what the first person told you was WRONG, and now you're going to have worst problems that what you originally called about....

There is an absolutely hilarious video clip of a person who totally FREAKED OUT on tech support once. It has some bad language in it, otherwise I'd post the link here. But if you want to have it, email me and I'll give it to you. It is one of the funniest things I've ever heard...only because the guy starts out so calm, then his voice gets wobbly with tears, then he starts screaming and cussing SO loud and long about his work that got lost. It's ROFL funny.

Squirrel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home