Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Heather's Sarcastic Saturday

Work or a lame attempt to stay at home and be lazy?

What is it about others (you know the ones I speak of, those people t-t-that...that don’t write) who seem to think writers don’t have a real job?

“What do you do for a living?” With a hopeful expression, as if y’all can share war stories from around the water cooler.

“I’m a writer.” With a little pride and trepidation.

“Ooooooh.” Raised eyebrows and a curled lip, with an all-knowing look that says, ‘oh in other words you don’t have a job.’ Snort. Lazy.

“...” Uncomfortable pause.

Ahem, um, anything I might have read?” With a little hope that the convo can be saved or they can catch you in all your lazy glory.

Now here the conversation could go two directions depending if you are a published author or not… but since I’m not we’ll go with just a writer’s response. (For the published author convo, we’ll have to ask the soon to be pubbed CAMY TANG!!!)

“Um, a few devotionals, couple articles online.” Refraining to mention it was nonpaying gigs, but Hey! You got a publishing credit for it! Screaming inside your head, ‘I am a writer! And a good one! It is too a real job!

“So, um, you write novels too?” Slight bored expression. Eyes shifting from side to side trying to find the nearest exit.

“Yes.” Big cheesy grin. “Christian fiction.” Another cheesy grin.

“C-c-christian fiction? Oh, how...interesting. I didn’t know they had that.” Scratching head. “So, like made up stories of the bible?”

Cough-idiot-cough. “No, real life. Romance, suspense, sci-fi, we have it all. Just with an added element of the Christian walk.”

“...” Glazed over eyes.

Houston, we have a problem...

4 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

LOL! Houston, we have a flaming ball of fire falling from the sky...

For me, it would go something like this:

"I have an Asian chick-lit coming out next year."

"Gum?"

"No, chick--" Pause. "--lit. Like Bridget Jones."

"Oh, okay. What's your story about?"

"My single, Asian-American heroine has to fight her psycho-Grandma, who wants to set her up with all these inappropriate guys."

"Oh, sounds funny. But I'm not Asian."

"No! I'd never have guessed."

"Ahem. So would I like the book?"

"Probably not."

 
At 1:03 AM, May 22, 2006, Anonymous Pet said...

LMAO!!!

Heather, I get that look all the time. Only, it goes like this:

"What do you write? Anything I'd know?"

"Mostly words, so if you've graduated high school, then yeah, you'd be able to read it." All said with a smile of course. Then I'd tell them I'm not published yet, that's when I get the sneer of contempt.

Now...go WRITE!

xoxoxo, Pet

 
At 8:09 AM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Robin Caroll said...

I'm curious...you actually--gasp--SPEAK to NORMALS, as Brandilyn calls them? I don't bother. LOL

 
At 6:21 PM, May 25, 2006, Blogger ScrollSquirrel said...

OMG! OMG! How many times have I had this EXACT insane conversation!!!

TOO FUNNY, HEATHER! LOLOLOL!

Cheryl/Squirly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home