Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Black Sands



by Colleen Coble
Book 2 of the Aloha Reef Series

Even a tropical paradise can have fire surging beneath.
Even a loving family can break each other's hearts.
Even an unforgivable act can be redeemed by love.

Volcanologist Annie Tagama loves her family with a fierceness that lights up her quiet exterior. But unseen forces seem to be tearing the family apart with the fury of the hot lava that seethes beneath their Hawaiian home. And the only person she can turn to for help is the man she blames for all the trouble.
Mano Oana can't get past the guilt of what happened to his best friend on that devestating day in Iran. He's even taken a leave from the Navy to make amends to the Tagama family and help them out of trouble for which he's partly responsible. But how can he get them to trust him when he can't even trust himself?
Like Distant Echoes, the first book in Colleen Coble's popular Aloha Reef Series, this page-turning story combines mystery and suspense with tender romance in an irresistible island setting.

I am a loyal true-blue fan of Colleen Coble. She didn't disappoint me with Black Sands. Wonderful story, beautifully crafted with nail-biting tension. The setting was wonderful, I felt like I was there. The characters were so wonderfully flawed and real. The plot kept you guessing and everything they tried to do only compounded matters like the lava building up under the islands. I loved Mano and Annie, as they stumbled through the mystery and their growing attraction to one another. I loved Wilson. I have to get me a mongoose now, :0). The secondary characters were also well done, I closed the book feeling like I had made a whole bunch of new friends. (I also stayed up until 2:00am to finish it because I couldn't bear not knowing what happened.)

The book is not preachy, but it has definate take away value. At least it did for me. I know Colleen only wants to do God's will. I want her to know that she touched me with her work.

And now I can quit hiding it and let my son have it to read. (I think my hubby read it during the times I didn't have it clutched in my hands.) Can't wait for Dangerous Depths.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home