Fab Four Book Picks

Book reviews by the Fab Four and our Fab Friends

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Heather's Sarcastic Saturday

To structure or not to structure....

You know what’s sad? When you’re a sarcastic person and you can’t write sarcastic on demand. What’s up with that??? It’s not like I have to write this long post or anything. Nooo because if it’s to long than we won’t keep your interest… and we gotta keep your interest, that’s the whole reason for having this blog, right? So I need to be sarcastic on demand.

Here’s the deal, I can write about ANYTHING I want… no structure. YAY. I’m a SOTP writer, I HATE structure. Structure gives me a headache. I break out in hives and my brain ceases to function. So why pray tell when I can write about anything I want on here I freeze up?

Oh! Speaking of SOTP and structure… have you seen some of these people that write and they have to have everything sooooo structured before they start? Everything in order. They like to know crazy things like what the heroine carries around in her purse… I don’t know about you but knowing what my heroine lugs around in her purse does not help me write her story. Now maybe if I was a nut and I wrote suspense this would help because I would need to know what kind of weapon she carried…pistol, knife, mace, rope, etc etc

Then there are the freaks that love to use excel to plot out their whole stories. And scene indexes!!! Those are like some medieval torture device to me… and that’s with the book already written!! LOL

So tell me, structure or no?

8 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Robin Caroll said...

Tsk, Tsk, Sarcastic Heather...I once was a total pantster.....no scene index, no structure....now, I'm finding I LIKE the structure. I leave myself plenty of leeway to play, but I like the structure. So sue me. Wait. Don't. Just smile and shake your head! LOL

 
At 2:01 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Pammer said...

Okay, I'm a SOTP writer too, but I write suspense. I know that my heroine does NOT have a knife or mace in her purse. She does have a weapon in her purse. It's the coins she forgot to drop off at the bank. :D
As for purses, I couldn't even tell you with certainty what is in mine. When your mom, everyone ASSUMES that they can use your purse to take things somewhere, never mind that YOU are the one lugging the weight around.

After I write the first draft....then I plot and plan (not as much as some, but I do have to have a pretty clear vision of where I'm going), but being SOTP, I want to be free to change the map. :0)
Hugs!

 
At 3:11 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Brat, are you talking about me? Yes, I confess I'm anal-retentive about plotting. I am even worse than Randy Ingermanson, who created the Snowflake method of plotting. But it really helps me to write well. I'm only plotting the scene goal, not the actual actions, dialogue or words that I put down on paper. It helps my story structure flow smoother rather than rambling off on tangent after tangent.
Camy

 
At 4:01 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger eileen said...

No, no plotting on snowflakes for me. They melt too quickly. Camy, I don't know how you figured out the snowflake anyway! I'm learning to use the chap/chap idea and it's working so far. It's a loose enough structure to allow for U-turns. LOL

 
At 10:09 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger ScrollSquirrel said...

Hooo RAH for the PANSTERS!!!!

Okay, I do confess I have some scene and dialogue snippets mapped out (usually on 2x2 post its so I can move them around) at some point in the story...unfortunately it's usually after I've written a significant portion of it. LOL. Sometimes I use character charts as a reference, because I feel I do have to know my characters before I can write their story well. And, since I'm detail oriented, I can guess what each heroine would have in her purse. LOL. It's scarey that I'd know that, but I do. Snowflake...um I'm baffled by it, but I do use principles from it when coming up with a pitch/ and synopsis/summary for the story. I don't know why it's so hard for me to explain to another person what my story is about. LOL. That's what I struggle with. So I don't like structure, but I've found it makes the story go faster...and chapter outlines....they're lovely when it comes to providing my characters one more thing to rebell against....

Sigh.

EXCELLENT discussion starter, Heather!

Here's what they'd have in their purses incidentally:

Shayla: Her death certificate.
Nina: A reflex hammer, Litman stethascope, and hardly any cash.
Amber: A mildewed toy parachutist, and this sentence scribbled on scratch paper: Worry is like paying interest on a debt you don't even owe.
R.J.: Nothing. She doesn't own a purse.
Nell: A snack for her daughter and pepper spray, and a birthday invitation to her daughter's princess party birthday for the hero...who promised he'd be there even though he's the only male.
Lexie: An ultrasound picture of her baby, and a soldier's dogtags.

I have more heroines, but I'm runnin out of space here. LOL!

Cheryl/Squirrel

 
At 4:46 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

Since I don't like rewriting an entire book, I've taken to doing more structuring. Scene indexes are my friend! Maybe if you say that a dozen or so times, they'll be your friend too. LOL! Now, was that sarcastic?

 
At 1:10 PM, March 20, 2006, Anonymous Synner said...

I think I'm a mixture of both. I do have the characters in mind (like Squirl) and an overall map of where I want the story to go. But then I let the writing take over and I'm more or less along for the ride. Sometimes the story follows the map, but never exactly. I kinda like taking those sidetrips to uncharted places.

 
At 9:03 PM, March 24, 2006, Blogger Kristin Billerbeck said...

Hail to the nonplotters. May we live long and prosper. And not have to deal with too many anal-retentives in life. LOL I'm kidding! Sort of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home